Report – Niger Junta Threatens To Kill Bazoum Over Planned Military Intervention

If neighboring nations attempt any military action to reinstate President Mohamed Bazoum, Niger’s junta has threatened to kill him.

Two “Western officials” reportedly claimed that the putschists made the threat while speaking with a senior U.S. diplomat on Thursday, according to an Associated Press report…..CONTINUE READING

The Economic Community of West African States (ECOWAS) had just passed its deadline of Sunday to reinstate Bazoum’s government when it announced that it had ordered the deployment of a “standby force” to restore democracy in Niger.

Both ECOWAS and the junta, which has demonstrated its willingness to escalate its actions since seizing power on July 26, are at risk as a result of the threat to the ousted president.

In order to combat jihadi violence linked to al-Qaeda and the Islamic State organization, which has claimed the lives of thousands and displaced millions of people, Western nations were last thought to be able to work with Niger in the Sahel region south of Sahara Desert.

PAY ATTENTION:  BREAKING: BREAKING: Military Helicopter Crashlands In Rivers

The global community is working hard to resolve the nation’s leadership crisis amicably.

Additionally, read: ECOWAS requests support from the UN and orders a standby force against Niger Junta.

According to an AP report, a Western military official informed U.S. Under Secretary of State Victoria Nuland of the threat to Bazoum during her visit to the nation this week, speaking under the condition of anonymity due to how sensitive the situation was.

That account was reportedly confirmed by a U.S. official, who also spoke under the condition of anonymity due to their lack of media access.

PAY ATTENTION:  JUST IN: Osinbajo commissions Oyo State Governor’s Lodge, commends Makinde’s infrastructural imprints

Aneliese Bernard, a former U.S. State Department official who specializes in African affairs and is currently the director of the risk advisory firm Strategic Stabilization Advisors, said the threats from both sides raise tensions but should hopefully bring them closer to speaking.

She warned that because this junta has escalated its actions so quickly, it’s possible that they will go even further.

To discuss their next steps, nine leaders from the 15-member West African bloc gathered on Thursday in Abuja.

Omar Alieu Touray, the ECOWAS Commission’s president, stated after the discussions that “the military authorities in the subregion must deploy a standby force of the community” in order to reiterate the decisions.

“Appropriate measures have been taken,” he said, adding that financing had been discussed.

PAY ATTENTION:  Finally! Malami faces probe over five suspicious mega deals under his watch

He stated that any difficulties brought on by Niger’s sanctions were the fault of the junta and that the bloc would work together to take additional action.

“One country is not against another.” All members of the community have subscribed to certain instruments, he claimed.

The ECOWAS statement, according to a former British Army official who served in Nigeria, could be interpreted as permission to start assembling their forces with the ultimate goal of restoring constitutional order.

The official claimed that Nigerian forces were the only ones currently in place when it came to using force, but he was not authorized to speak to the media. It’s unlikely they would enter without enablers and the assistance of other regional armies, according to the official…..CONTINUE READING